Memberships is a long-awaited platform capability in the Webflow ecosystem, which currently ( Jan-202e ) is in BETA.
It involves a few key capabilities;
- The ability to "gate" parts of your site, so that only selected people can access them.
- > Gating Pages, Folders, and Collection Pages ( available now )
- > Gating elements ( coming soon )
- > Gating individual CMS Collection items ( hopefully in the future )
- Membership enrollment options
- > Invitation by email
- > Self-enrollment
- The ability to log-in, and log-out, once enrolled
- The ability to provide for paid memberships
Common Use Cases
- Control access to specific content and screens, to specific users
- Sell access to content, e.g. video courses, articles, downloadable materials... on a monthly subscription basis
Important design limitations include;
- User email is required, as is email verification. Whether you invite a user by email, or they enroll on the site, an email address MUST be supplied and they MUST verify it by clicking a link in that received email.
- No OAuth2 support for external providers, e.g. Google
- No admin ability to update or reset passwords
Hopefully-temporary limitations include;
- No ability to manage Users in the Editor
- No ability to view or change a User's access groups through the API
- No password-reminder ability for Users yet
- No ability to gate content to a specific User
- No ability to gate individual CMS Items
- No ability to auto-add a User's email to your newsletter provider when they click "Allow marketing"
- BUG? Clicking "allow marketing" is currently required at enrollment
- Quite a few more, but we're in beta...